11 Ways to Lose Weight Fast
We have all been there: you want to lose weight fast (not slow…who wants to wait for that beach bod?), but we keep falling off the wagon, or nothing seems to work. Well, every person is different and what works for me may not work for you. However, I can provide 12 tips that may help you shed those pounds quickly and stick with it. The main idea is to do lots of little things and not overwhelm yourself.
- Change your lifestyle in little ways – Every time we go at a diet full-force, we burn out and fall off the wagon. Don’t overdo it. Find and implement one or two changes to your day-to-day routine, such as skipping the elevator and taking the stairs, or having a bowl of fruit for breakfast rather than a bowl of cereal.
- Going hand-in-hand with number 1 is the idea to front-load calories at breakfast. Don’t go overboard, but make sure you DO eat breakfast, and try to get 1/4 of your daily calories in. Focus on protein and whole grains to keep you full longer. This can help jump-start your metabolism for the day.
- Rethink your snacks – Convenience is the greatest enemy of weight loss. Evaluate what you get at the store – did you spend time in the snack aisle with all the chips and soda? Make a list of all the things you bought from that aisle and search for a healthy replacement for each. It may require a little work at home to make it as convenient when you need that snack, but you’ll thank yourself for it.
- Clean out your pantry – Again, convenience is a trouble-maker. If you don’t have that jumbo bag of chocolate-dipped pretzels tempting you, you are one step ahead.
- Find what motivates you – I don’t mean, “I want to be pretty” -kind of motivation. That can be mentally unhealthy (you are pretty no matter what). I mean things like music, your favorite local view (that requires a stroll), and other things that can help you get moving more than you do already.
- Fit in a quick rep – Start paying attention to your day. Do you have small down-time moments where you could do some quick squats or sit-ups? Even five minutes to get your heart beating can be better than nothing.
- Find your vegetables – Variety is the spice of life, but not everyone loves their veggies. List out the ones you do like and find different ways to fit them in. Have one you avoid, but you can tolerate, try it some more and perhaps you will get accustomed to the taste, or perhaps look for recipes that modify the flavor in a way you like.
- Run – Seriously, I hate it, you hate it, we all (well, most of us, anyway) hate running. Despite our hatred of the activity, it is effective. Wildly effective. Try to fit it in – 20 minutes 3-4 times a week will really start to change things.
- Provide yourself smaller portions – When eating a meal, only provide yourself a small portion. Having to make an extra trip for seconds may help reduce your likelyhood of overeating. This goes for those times you just have to grab something to-go (see, there’s that convenience thing again), always get a small. You will be surprised how good you feel eating to be satisfied rather than eating to be stuffed.
- Try something new – Tired of the same old exercise routines? Then try something new, like yoga. Or, try joining a class. Working out with others can really help maintain motivation and is a great place to get much-needed encouragement.
- Budget for dessert – That’s right, dieting doesn’t have to mean mean all vegetables, all the time. Dessert can be a motivator. Eat smaller portions and lower calorie quantities so that you can have that treat. Also, if you often find yourself too full for dessert, go back to #9.